Most nonprofits rely heavily on the generous donations from their support base. But they struggle with ways to expand their reach and grow their following beyond those that are immediately connected to their group.
A Worthy Cause
Whether you opened yesterday or 50 years ago, every day needs to be “Show and Tell”. Show what your organization has done. Tell who or what it has helped. You can’t assume that people already know your mission, message, and how fabulous you are. Show them. Tell them. Give them a reason to WANT to support your efforts.
Let’s brainstorm some potential donors you can invite to join you.
- Friends and Family – this group is among some of the easier to reach. The use of social media helps your community get the word out about your campaigns, needs, and story to their circles of friends, family, and influence. Once these friends and family members give, you can use some of the methods we discussed in our earlier blogs to help keep them engaged in your community throughout the years to come.
- Alumni – this group is another fairly easy group to connect with. This group has seen the impact and importance you have in your community. They’ve experienced it for themselves. Make sure you are reaching out to them to keep them engaged after they have graduated.
- Community Members – reach out to your neighbors! Although they may not be direct members, there are people in your community who may be supportive of your mission and wish you good will.
- Business Owners – Is your local dry cleaner looking for ways to reach a new audience? Does a small business share the same goals and ideals with your organization body? Companies will want to support you because they gain association with your brand, goodwill and positioning. You can help share recognition to businesses that support you. By giving and receiving, you are building a supportive community of givers that helps everyone achieve.
- Future Members – Do you know of future members, future students, or future clients that would benefit from your current projects? They may be looking for an organization that will meet their needs in the future while they are planning now.
Looking for donors can sometimes feel like a game of hide and seek. You won’t find them all in one place, but you can make the process a lot easier on your team and organization. An exciting aspect of finding new donors is that we often find and increase the value of our existing donors in the process.
Here at Givedot, we believe that creating an environment of charity that is rewarding, meaningful, and relevant is the blueprint for a long-lasting, maintainable campaign. Schedule a demo with us and see for yourself!